[Libreoffice] Scrolling while cursor on a note

Andy Hearn cuvierster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 15:45:48 PST 2010

There's a "feature" which I don't think should be present (this here applies
to both formats, odt and doc):

For a multiple-page document, with at least some lengthy notes:
 - Place the cursor within a note in the sidebar, and then try to scroll
down the document using the vertical scroll bar either by clicking on the
down arrow, or using the slider.

The document page (and notes that are in view) all 'shudder', as if to
prevent the cursor from going out of view.  I can suppose that is to,
perhaps, warn an author that the cursor is within a note lest s/he begins to
type again.

But the same cursor on a page of the document proper is able to go out of
view happily, so the same argument applies methinks.

Was there a rationale for "preventing" the cursor on a note from going out
of view, but yet it is allowed to pass the top edge of the document view if
placed elsewhere?

I can see that when the cursor - on line three, or four, of a note - just
goes out of view, a redraw/repaint is triggered, but instead, the top edge
of the note containing the cursor reappears just under the top edge of the
document view, thus shifting the line the cursor is on further down the
document view, affording smooth scrolling for three/four lines again.

It all repeats until the user leaves the scroll bar alone.  (It actually
took me a while to realise that I was seeing the same page, and not a huge
document with hundreds of identically laid out notes...)

This shuddering (I would use an apt verb, but this is an international list)
to me is a bug, albeit a minor one, if not then it is an ugly feature?

What say those in the know?

Cheers
Andy