[Libreoffice] defaulting to --without-java ... (?)

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Thu Dec 2 18:26:00 PST 2010

At 11:33am -0500 Thu, 02 Dec 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
> As part of the quest to make LibreOffice easier to build; and in
> parallel to annoy developers who are missing those java implemented
> features into re-writing them into C++, I was wondering:
>
> would anyone scream if we defaulted configure to --without-java ? [
> this is primarily for developers ], should make it easier to build
> (without the bogus version dependencies), quicker to compile, and
> faster to run (I hope) ;-)

I'm absolutely for this, especially in terms of getting any/all
necessaries rewritten in C++ ... but not right now.  As others have
stated, like it not, the current product uses Java (e.g. Base) and I
believe it would be foolhardy to default to a build that is not likely
to be deployed to end-users.  When (if?) the code has been gutted of
Java, it might be time to revisit this motion, but now is not that time.

If the conversion to C++ is an important goal (and long-term, I do
believe it is), I think it would be better put on the wiki as a
not-so-easy/short hack.

Cheers,

Kevin