[Libreoffice] de-emphasisig java ... - summary so far ...

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Fri Dec 3 06:25:13 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 11:03 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> A. it makes LibreOffice easier to build, to not require Java
>         + I made this point, Spaetz has some examples of build failure
>           with different Javas / Ant (that speak of much frustration
> and
>           wasted time), Jonathan has been bitten by junit issues,
>           I (personally) have had -tons- of weirdo java build issues
>           in the past, Lubos builds --without-java

Count me in too.  I too am having a java issue at the moment, and have
to build --without-java.  I had had no problems building with java ever
(using the sun jdk downloaded from their site) for the past x years, but
for some reason recent 3.3 builds gave me some build issues with java
which I couldn't figure out in reasonable time.  So, I decided to build
--without-java in the meantime.

Yes, I could have investigated further to see what the issue was, but
I'm not that well versed with java, not as much as I do with C++, so my
comfort level drops when faced with java issues.

As for whether or not to make --without-java a default, well, we know
that --with-java enables it anyway for us experienced builders, so I
don't see a problem with disabling it by default.

And indeed, as Caolan said, the java situation is somewhat messy on SUSE
platforms, where multiple jdk implementations are provided, gcj,
openjdk, sun-jdk, and ibm-jdk.  Anyhow...

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kyoshida at novell.com>