[Libreoffice] [UX] LO status bar annoyances

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sat Dec 4 17:55:05 PST 2010

On 30/11/10 15:24, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>>> Sorry I have to disagree there.  I'm the one who put that icon there,
>>> and the reason for that was to have a visually obvious way to tell
>>> whether or not the document is currently modified.
>>>
>> Hi Kohei,
>>
>> ok, but maybe there are other means to get that info across?
> Sure, if you have any good suggestions.

Copy the way WordPerfect does it?
>> The
>> status bar, generally, uses up precious horizontal screen real
>> estate, for very little benefit.
> Well, status bar contains info about status, and document modified
> "status" fits the bill, no? ;-)
>
>> -- Thorsten, who likes the '*' prefix on the window title bar
> Indeed, but just to put this in prospective, I've received tons of angry
> emails from users when I suggested to always enable the save icon.  They
> also said that things like a small '*' in the title bar would not be
> obvious enough.

Would the word "unmodified" do it?

Pretty much all the *Perfect suite display the document name in the
title bar, and then if it's unmodified they put "(unmodified)" after the
document name. I don't normally give a monkeys about the document
status, but that uses space that otherwise wouldn't be used for anything
and, if done across writer, calc, basically all the components :-) would
provide a neat way of passing the information to the user, at no cost of
valuable currently-used screen estate.

> Obviously many users feel very *emotional* about this issue, and I found
> it out the hard way.
>
> Kohei

Cheers,
Wol