[Libreoffice] LibO download size [was: Comments on RC1]

Bernhard Dippold bernhard at familie-dippold.at
Tue Dec 7 10:55:11 PST 2010

Hi Michael, all,

sorry for stepping in so late - my previous subscription to the
libreoffice at freedesktop list didn't work (and I didn't have the time to
search the archives) so I don't know if this has already been discussed...

Michael Meeks schrieb:
 > [...] The rational here was to ensure that everyone's language is
 > treated equally. Incidentally, as an aside - the problem space is not
 > restricted only to single-locale users: many corporate users (for
 > example) want to deploy it worldwide, and have a single image that has
 > localizations for ~everywhere.

I don't know if the rationale of not preferring English (as
international communication language) in our builds is too important to
provide the two-files-download version (English main package plus
lang-pack) as an alternative aside the multi-package.

If we have enough server space for:
- multi-installer
- EN-installer (better would be "no-language"-installer, but this will
probably not work)
- language packs in all languages

I'd propose to go this way for LibO 3.3.0.

I can't imagine that anybody here has so much time to discuss this topic
now - and at least for our first release we should provide something
people can handle:

The multi-installer for people in need for one single package download
in their language

The EN-installer and lang-pack for others with main focus on the
download size willing to download and install two packages one after
another.

This would have to be supported by the download script (or at least
mentioned on the download page), but I think the website team can cope
with it...

Of course there is much room for improvement - but I think this can wait
until the release of LibO 3.3.0.

Best regards

Bernhard