[Libreoffice] The future of help [was: Re: Deleting Java from Base]

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Wed Dec 8 00:31:25 PST 2010

Hi Cor,

On 2010-12-03 at 17:51 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:

> > That one might be actually easy - when the wikihelp is online, I'd
> > default to not building the internal help at all, and instead focus on
> > converting it from the wiki version to the platform-native (Windows /
> > MacOSX / Gnome / KDE [but IIRC, KDE was able to read the Gnome's help
> > natively too]) for the releases.  And cut all the help-related code ;-)
> >
> > Objections / support / thoughts?
>
>    One of the good things of current Help is: when a control in a
> certain window is selected, and one hits Help/F1, the appropriate help
> text is displayed.
>    I hope that can be conserved, while cutting help-related code.

Yes, sure, this is of course a hard requirement for any help system we
might potentially switch to.

Please try the wikihelp I made live just yesterday, you can see that
this is there - in the Windows version, navigate with your keyboard in
the menu to something you'd need a help with, hit F1, and you'll get the
appropriate page.  If not, it is a bug, and please report such cases :-)

Thank you,
Kendy