[Libreoffice] Bundled fonts

Wed Dec 8 01:53:30 PST 2010

By default, we bundle 20MB of TTF fonts that I mostly have installed as
system fonts already.

We have 2 badly documented configure options:

--without-fonts (--with-fonts is the default) and
--enable-extra-font (not enabled by default, putting more .ttfs on your
disk).

Not quibbling about the option naming here (--with vs --enable etc), do
we really need to bundle those fonts by default? (DejaVu, Libertine, and
Gentium are already quite common on Linux boxes at least, and packages
can recommend the respective font packages).

I hear that we most certainly need opens___.ttf in any case, so we
should bundle that universally, and make --without-fonts the default
then. Win32 distros can turn it on in their distro config if they want.

That would be 20MB saved on each make dev-install and I wouldnt run
danger to pick up the wrong version of the DejaVu fonts.

Opinions?

Sebastian