[Libreoffice] Release tag convention

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Wed Dec 8 02:07:32 PST 2010

Norbert Thiebaud píše v Út 07. 12. 2010 v 11:22 -0600:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is a proposal to use the tag "libreoffice-3.3.0.1" instead of
> > "LIBREOFFICE_3_3_0_1" and mention it in the LibreOffice/About dialog as
> > is. It is more clear and understandable.
> >
> > Would you mind if we do this change for LibO-3.3-rc2?
>
> If it is going to be user-visible (as in an About Box), why not avoid
> abbreviations ?
> that is: LibreOffice-3.3-rc2

This whole discussion started with the request to mention the exact git
tag string in the about dialog. It helps developers to distinguish what
exact sources were used to produce the buggy build.

Unfortunately, we have two demands. The abbreviations "alpha", "beta",
"rc", and "final" are better understandable for users. They are more
intuitive when describing the stability and amount of passed testing.
The numbers are needed for packagers because they help installer to
decide what package is newer. Note that the package versions are
compared alphanumerically, so 3.3rc1 > 3.3final > 3.3

IMHO, users know what they download and install. They usually check the
about dialog only when they want to report a bug => I prefer to use the
numbers everywhere and use the abbreviation only in the announce mails
and maybe for tarballs with packages.

Best Regards,
Petr