[Libreoffice] binfilter and features...

Pierre-André Jacquod pjacquod at alumni.ethz.ch
Wed Dec 8 03:53:49 PST 2010

Hi,
> There is alright, a phonecon typically once a week or so. maybe we can
> put this topic on the agenda
would be great

> and you could dial in if its at a suitable time.

doing this during free time, I may really depend if the possibility
arise or not.

But basically, we could think of a kind of general rule according to the
following points:

Do we want to support the file format X ?
if yes
Is the product that produce this file format as default / main / native
file format out of support ?
if yes
Is this product out of support since more than X (3??) years?
if yes
==> LibO supports this file format as read only. In case of changes, the
user has to choose another file format, supported for writing.

Note: for me, for an average user, having to install a plug-in is not an
option. At least as I see even in my west-european neighborhood, despite
well educated (university-level!) people, but not computer freaks, using
it as a mere tools. I always wonder as people are using computer in a
way much more nearer of using hammers than cars....

Of course, if the product is still on support, this is another story,
since there other criteria should determine if this is read or read-write.
But this kind of rule could help to shrink down in a regular manner the
LibO code, having a basis for suppressing some part of the code.

I proposed 3 years, this in average, this is the renewal time for PC's.
Actually, for basic users, this is somewhat longer (about 5 years), but
as you have seen (or not) for docx-format, after 3 years of the
introduction of the new format, people not able to read the new format
are really in trouble.

This also "helps" or forces the end-user to migrate to the new format /
up to date format, without loosing access to its archive. This is a good
help for LibO, I think, avoiding having X former file-format existing
around.

Other views, ideas?
regards