[Libreoffice] Base - sqlite - licence grief

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Dec 9 11:26:07 PST 2010

Hi Wols,

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 19:07 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
> I've downloaded the old sqlite driver, which is copyright Sun LGPL 2.1.

	Oh - shame :-) I wonder if there is a newer copy of it in the repos.

> I was going to try and get that working, and teach myself C++ in the
> process, but on trying to commit it to my local repo the first thing I
> get is "you are adding tabs to these files" (no I'm not but never mind :-)

	Heh - so run some un-tabifying magic across it all I guess;

> So I fix that, then I get "Your change introduces old licences". Where
> do I go from here? I could unilaterally change all the files to GPL3+
> (as permitted by the LGPL) but I don't yet have the skill to rewrite the
> files. Or is there a contact at Oracle I can ask to upgrade the licence
> to LGPL3?

	Lol; I suspect they would not be thrilled with the request, and legal
foo can take some time even for my company.

> NB - "Please check with the author(s) that they agree with upgrading the
> license to LGPL3, and change the license accondingly."
> c/accondingly/accordingly/ :-)

	Well - we already have LGPLv2.1 code included in the form of libwpd
etc. so I don't think this is a huge issue.

	I would fix the tabs, (and also remove space at end of lines), and
force commit it (personally). We should check that the LGPLv2.1 is
included in the LICENSE.odt / LICENSE files in readlicense_oo as well.

	Thanks !

		Michael.