[Libreoffice] Fwd: Inclusion of a distro in the code

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Dec 10 02:20:37 PST 2010

Hi Anke,

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 08:14 +0300, sophie wrote:
> I'm forwarding your mail to the developer's list, you should have more
> answers there

	Thanks Sophie.

> Compiling the latest RC1 for the Linux distribution "Chakra", I noticed
> there is a list of distro's in the code, that are supported for branding
> libreoffice.

	Riight - so this is something we are trying to cut out of the picture;
we don't really want lots of branding images in the repositories; these
really belong in vendor packages I think - with some nice configure
option to use them.

	As regards the distro config/ files - there is some merit in
centralising these I guess (as/when we change defaults it can help); but
its not clear to me that there needs to be so much diversity among them
[ usually people want different levels of 'use system libfoo'
tweaking ].

	So - I'd say - probably best to to put the artwork in; keep it in
your .spec file / build wrappers; [ and help us make that easier with
better configure options perhaps ? - patches most welcome ]; we are also
working to deprecate the build/ top-level (with distro specific patches
etc.) such that all of that is flattened into the main tree, with
conditionals (as appropriate).

	Does that make sense ? Perhaps other devs have different views - this
is mostly Rene's world :-) anyhow - do post patches to the freedesktop
dev list :-)

	Glad you're packaging LibreOffice ! and great to have you on board.

	Thanks,

		Michael.