[Libreoffice] RC1 / size redux ...

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Fri Dec 10 05:10:12 PST 2010

Hi Michael, all,

Michael Meeks wrote (07-12-10 18:55)

> 	So - as we all know, RC1 is too large; and there are a complicated set
> of reasons why that is so,
> [...]

Great to see the work and progress on this subject.
Of course it had to be done anyway, but making the effort now is,
looking to all comments, very positive.

On thing that I wondered this morning (when I saw a remark somewhere
about extensions) is why we do not look at the integrated extensions.
Compressed in a tar.gz they count for 25.8 MB!

Also I remember some remarks on lists (including on from a very big
community) that have a strong preference for installation sets without
those extensions.

And really, it does not make LibreOffice better software to include
those, or to prevent people to download and install some Sun or Oracle
stuff.
Also you should be delighted to leave Java-stuff, that most users do not
use anyway, out, isn't it :-p

After all, it 25 MB...

One side note about your little, understandable, grief that comments on
the download size came in rather late. I think it has been a mistake of
all in the initial discussion, that was rather fast (hectic times, back
in those days), that we didn't realise that more time for discussion
with more people would be better.
Sorry that the burden of that mistake is now carried by you and other devs.

Best,
Cor