[Libreoffice] Number of days for testing RC

Jean-Baptiste Faure jbf.faure at orange.fr
Fri Dec 10 11:02:39 PST 2010

Hi Petr, all,

Le 10/12/2010 15:24, Petr Mladek a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Jean has modified http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Release_Criteria
> and increased the number of days for reporting blocker bugs from 7 to
> 10.
My first name is Jean-Baptiste :-)
> He says that they need to do the complete WE inside the period,
> see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Talk:Release_Criteria
>
> Heh, what is "WE"? :-)
Sorry, it is an acronym for a typical French expression : Week-End ;-)

I think we need more time to allow volunteers to do manual tests. They
do these tests during their spare time so often during the week-end.
> OOo has only 5 days, see
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Release_criteria#Stopper_issues
> How is it there with building and approving the national builds?
Perhaps am I influenced by the big number of RC we have raised for OOo
3.3.0, but I think that if we take our time to deeply test our release
candidates, we will have better stable version and enjoyed and not
discouraged testers.
> Michael thought that 7 days were too much, see
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2010-November/003498.html
>
> Jean and Michael already discussed this matter, see
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2010-November/003505.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2010-November/003600.html
>

> My opinion is that 10 days might make sense for the first release
> candidate but it is too much for the next release candidates. Otherwise,
> we would do only 2 release candidates during one month and the release
> would be newerending story.
>
> Note that we have more strict rules for changes during the rc phase, see
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development#Hack_and_commit_on_a_stable_branch
>
> Also I think that it does not make sense that every national team would
> do the whole testing. IMHO, 95% of the functionality is language
> independent, so most of the testing can be shared and distributed.
Right. For OOo, NL QA-team do only Release Sanity Test. But the current
test period on OOo 3.3.0 shows that the last blockers have been found by
the Community and these blockers could not be found by automatic or TCM
tests; they have been found by users who have done tests on their
documents they use in the real life.
To do that we need time.

Kind regards
JBF