[Libreoffice] HC2 l10n process

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Mon Dec 13 06:02:53 PST 2010

Hi Sophie,

I am sorry for missing this mail :-(  Please cc: me explicitly the next
time.

On 2010-12-08 at 14:34 +0300, Sophie Gautier wrote:

> So, some inputs from the localizer point of view concerning the help files.
> Currently, it's not available else than on line and in English, which is
> very problematic, and more for some of us who received support to make
> it available, plus it let think that it is not translated at all. So, as
> Martin said on the l10n list, it's currently a stopper for localized
> builds if the help is not available aside the product and in its language.

Yes, the availability of the off-line help was one of the requirements
from the very beginning, and it hasn't changed.

> Out of this, if we further your effort to put it on the wiki, what the
> localizer need is:
> - an offline way to work on it

It should be easily achievable using Wiki Publisher extension.  And if
it has a missing feature or 2, that is fixable, and users will gain by
that too :-)

> - the ability to grep the strings (we frequently make changes in UI that
> we need to report in the several places where the word appears in the
> help files)

With wikihelp, you can search there, google there, and if you need that,
I can also provide snapshots of the entire content - one language takes
1.4M bzipped, so a trivial download.

> - the ability to add comments to the segments

You can add comments as <!-- comment --> inside the pages, also you can
have Talk: pages to the 'master' ones that include discussions, etc.
Anything missing there, please?

> - the ability to make proposal only and accept those proposal,

This is another use for the Talk: pages.  Please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Using_talk_pages

> - the ability to use automated checks, such as end punctuation, start
> caps, sentence count, extra blanks, etc.

Can I have exact list of what you are using currently?  I am sure that
for many such things there already exist Mediawiki extensions, it is
just a matter of installing them.

> - of course the use of terminology file to ensure that UI strings are
> the same in HC2.

This is something I cannot force, I am afraid, this really needs to be
part of your workflow.

> This is the most important actions I see, may be others may have
> additional requests.
> If you make sure that those needs are met, we will be able to work on it
> and provide the same level of quality we are currently providing for our
> localization.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
Kendy