[Libreoffice] Number of days for testing RC

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Mon Dec 13 06:32:32 PST 2010

Andrea Pescetti píše v Ne 12. 12. 2010 v 19:30 +0100:
> On 10/12/2010 Petr Mladek wrote:
> > OOo has only 5 days, see
> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Release_criteria#Stopper_issues
> > How is it there with building and approving the national builds?
>
> As shown in the page you link, it's "5 days including a weekend", so the
> constraints proposed by Jean-Baptiste are still respected.

My original 7 days included weekend by definition ;-)

> > My opinion is that 10 days might make sense for the first release
> > candidate but it is too much for the next release candidates. Otherwise,
> > we would do only 2 release candidates during one month and the release
> > would be newerending story.
>
> I agree that 2 release candidates a month are too few. But you needn't
> reach 8 RCs every time! I mean, OpenOffice.org 3.3 RCs were produced
> with a 3-7 days delay between each other and this was wrong and
> confusing; a longer time between RCs allows to fix more bugs, provided
> that testing continues. So, if a Release Candidates fixes several
> stopper bugs, it can make sense to have fewer (and, in this case, you
> will hopefully never reach 8 RCs).

A question is if new RC need to trigger the full QA. We try to avoid it
by reviewing the fixes.

> > 95% of the functionality is language
> > independent, so most of the testing can be shared and distributed.
>
> Mostly, indeed. But still there are subtle bugs (fixed in OOo 3.3-RC
> Italian: a wrongly translated style name that caused a name clash with
> another style and caused bizarre behavior only when that specific style
> was used and only in the Italian version) that suggest that, to be safe
> from the start, a more thorough testing would be needed. On the other
> hand, this would be the kind of bugs you would probably address in
> LibreOffice with very frequent bug-fix releases, thus preferring
> "on-the-field" QA by all LibreOffice 3.3 users to the preliminary QA by
> volunteers.

The testing by volunteers is really appreciated. We would not be able to
release without it. People would not use LibO if there are bugs in the
basic functionality.

Just to get idea? How much time would you need to make 99% normal users
happy? It means that you need not test any hi-tech features.

Best Regards,
Petr