[Libreoffice] Python API and Danny.O00

Peter Morgan pedromorgan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:20:28 PST 2010

My adoption and usage of "calc" means that I want to manipulate
the spreadsheet stuff easily.

This is stuff I cannot do at the moment at the "gig", as
its predominately windows, and also windows based "systems" at legacy labs,,
>> think a "geotechnical machine that costs 100k shear box with windows
3.1.. and works well still to this day.. "..

Dany.O00 goes some way towards manipulating a sheet with python, but am
disappointed that it years olde and no real "active" python dev, unless I
missed something..

For my application in a "goetechnical testing lab", I want to be able to
read/write to a sheet.. in pythonic way

Be easy just to do simple things, imagined in a heaven below
eg psudeo code.ish

### This is the Temparature measurement machine slave

JOB = {'job_id': 12345678, 'foo': 'bar', 'result': None}

import LibreOffice as LO

spread_full_path = "/jobs/%s/my_calc_spread_sheet.odf" % JOB.job_id #
whatever extension

spreadMe = LO.open(spread_full_path)

mySheet = spreadMe.sheet("foo", create=True) # create's if not exist,
otherwise error

mySheet.append( My_Data )

mySheet.close()

##// analyse data
analysysReader = LO.Open(spread_full_path, read_only=True) # or pyton
adoption.. prefer verbose..
aResult = analysysReader.sheets()[0].range("x_total")
if aResult > JOB.test.limitz:
    send_message(aResult)

Thats all we need guys..

Now here is the deal..

If we can take this seriously then I'm in.. already got a danny.ooo
site hiking but crazy accumulation  and we need to appraises and take a
"strategic" plan, stick some venom in there, poison the situation etc.. and
some out with a full anhydrite, ie go to your grandma's house and cut and
paste them olde docs..

In conclusion:
Anyone into developing the python.API and making it simple and idiot proff

Pete