[Libreoffice] new website comments ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Dec 17 07:48:34 PST 2010

Hi David,

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 00:56 +0800, David Nelson wrote:
> The content on those pages is out of date. We're nearly finished
> preparing the new LibreOffice site now. You can view it at
> http://test.libreoffice.org, and the downloads page there is up to
> date. The documentfoundation page will need to be updated.

	Oh - cool :-) It looks really good. I love the auto-platform detection
for downloads, and that page, some comments:

	* I would move the download link to the top - and have the
	  explanation below it - it takes time to read through that
	  text; I can feel my eyes getting tired - and - really, the
	  platform / language combination is -really- sweet and simple.
		+ eg. the German tranlation (missing an s) ;-) seems
		  much crisper and prettier as of now.

		+ it would be lovely to re-use the existing artwork
		  there, so - we would show (as well as a text link)
		  the download image:
			+ they are easy to get from this .zip:
		https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=41193

	* I'd love to help out with that; how does one get involved with
	  the silverstripe goodness ?

	* The Features page is great - though, perhaps we need some
	  images there too in time.
		+ Also, I suspect a common visitor flow would be to
		  think:
			"What is new in the latest version"
		+ click that link, and not find what they want, so
		  perhaps some link to the release notes for the
		  latest version belongs near the top there (?)

	* Get Involved
		+ again - I would like the "how to become a developer"
		  very present, in front of people's eyes: not hidden
		  somewhere in plain-view, where you have to actively
		  look for it.
			+ ie. I want people to think: "oh ! perhaps I
			 could get involved - didn't think of that" as
			 they wander around the website: rather than
			 trying to catch only those people who went
			 looking for it. "We need you !" type stuff.
			+ we saw from the website analytics on our first
			  day, that most people only go one click away
			  from the 1st page - and increasingly few hit
			  sub-links / side-bars etc.
		+ Ergo - more than one top-level tab away from the
		  front-page is not good.
			+ perhaps we could cure this by putting a lot of
			  challenge / developer content on the
			  front-page of "Get Involved"
			+ "We want to get developers involved"

	Otherwise, there is so much that is really positive here; really nice
work David (and co). I'm looking forward to the final result.

	All the best,

		Michael.