[Libreoffice] Change executable/sh names

Jesús Corrius jesus at softcatala.org
Sat Dec 18 03:48:57 PST 2010

> Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
> window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
> Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
> repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:
>
> 1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
> 2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
> associated with OOo.
> 3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
> with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
> 'Open With' from Windows Explorer.

I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.

Anyone else is able to reproduce this?

> My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
> executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
> the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.

As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
that the path is different.

Here you have info on how this works:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx

> In the interim; how about you test & also explain how a standard Windows
> user is to "associate an extension with any
> program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
> not". And in particular, associate an .odt with *both* OOo and LibO on
> the same system...

There are many options, but I wil exclude the complicated ones. So I
guess in Windows XP (in Vista and 7 this is nicer: Open With -> Choose
Default Program) there are two options left:

1. sample.odt -> Open With -> Choose program -> Select program from a
list -> Browse

2. Open Explorer -> Tools -> Folder options -> File types -> ODT ->
Change (Advanced Options will allow you to create an entry in the Open
With menú, but you need to be a bit more advanced user).

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus at softcatala.org>
Document Foundation founding member