[Libreoffice] sw: numbering misbehaviour

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Tue Dec 21 11:59:06 PST 2010

On 21/12/10 19:16, Octavio Alvarez wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 02:06:01 -0800, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 01:16 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
>>> Note that I'm not used to bullets etc BUT. In WordPerfect when you
>>> select text and format it it puts on/off markers round the text.
>>> Hitting
>>> "end" takes you PAST those markers. So you *have* just told it to go
>>> back to the defaults!
>>
>> The equivalent in writer was originally to press the right arrow when
>> you are already at the end of the line. I see that this is still
>> documented as such in help, but was changed long ago to be ctrl+shift+x
>
> Technically, that doesn't make it "move past the ending marker", but
> "removes the direct character formatting" (at least according to
> Tools » Customize)
>
> To move past the last ending marker (there might be more than one) we
> need to set the current character style to "Default" instead of simply
> removing hard format.
>
> I would have expected this to break after commit 985b180a2 on
> libreoffice/writer, but looks like it detects it and it actually applies
> Default instead if the cursor is at the end of the paragraph.
>
> Interestingly enough, this does not happen at the beginning of the
> paragraph. Should it? (Even if you manually set Default, it doesn't
> work.)

I'm not expecting anybody to take this and run with it, but ...

My main reason originally for being interested with LibreOffice was "can
I add an editing window like WordPerfect Reveal Codes?". Because without
*that* you will find it very hard to win over the WordPerfect fanatics.
Seeing as LO is based on XML as the document format it should be easy -
all "reveal codes" is is a window with text and all the markup visible.
But the crucial point is that it is an *editing* window. I remember
talking with someone (can't remember his name) on LWN a fair bit about
WordPerfect, and he thought emulating reveal codes would be simple
*until* I said "without the edit functionality it's a waste of space".
Microsoft made that mistake.

And of course, with that, all these particular problems would
"disappear" :-)

But I've got interested in Base now, so I suspect that itch won't get
scratched by me now. Pity :-(

Cheers,
Wol