[Libreoffice] Better wording for 'Update links' question

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Wed Dec 22 14:24:47 PST 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:11:29 -0800, Kohei Yoshida <kyoshida at novell.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 13:06 -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
>> Experts already know what "Update links?" means; non-experts will not
>> understand enough to answer the question correctly even with improved
>> wording.
>
> I disagree here.  You tend to polarize the users as either experts or
> non-experts.  There are those in between who want to make an informed
> decision and will understand the verbiage.  The user who reported the
> above bug is one such example.

Is it possible to remove the dialog? I think I prefer not to have
anything automatically updated and have a menu item to update it.

Rationale:
[1] if data is there and it's the same, it doesn't make sense to update.
[2] if data is not there, it doesn't make sense to update.
[3] if data is there and differs, the only way to see the old data is
to hit "no".

Now, how would users be able to refresh links? Through a menu item.

Of course, users should be notified that there is existing external
resources. If LibO can notify that external resources have changed,
it would be even better.