[Libreoffice] Change executable/sh names

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 23 20:49:15 PST 2010

On 12/18/2010 03:48 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
>> Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
>> window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
>> Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
>> repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:
>>
>> 1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
>> 2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
>> associated with OOo.
>> 3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
>> with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
>> 'Open With' from Windows Explorer.
>
> I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
> SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
> worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
> I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
> OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.
>
> Anyone else is able to reproduce this?
>
>> My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
>> executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
>> the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.
>
> As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
> executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
> that the path is different.
>
> Here you have info on how this works:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx

Nope. That's not how it works. Sorry for the delay in responding, but
your system does not work the same as mine (WinXPPro SP3). I went back
and repeated my initial. Here are screenshots of those:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5827/screenshotwithoooonly.png
Only OOo 3.2.1 installed.

Now I install LibO - and in this case I installed LibORC2 just to be
sure that the test is current. And this is the result:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4994/screenshotwithliborc2.png
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9178/screenshotwithliborc22.png
Notice that all references to OOo are now missing.

So now I do the open with & browse to OOo swriter.exe and use that -
guess what happens... the .doc file opens in LibO.

As a test I rename the swriter.exe in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
3\program
to ooowriter.exe
and guess what happens when I use the choose program on the next go
around? Yep, the .doc now opens with OOo. And guess what now shows up in
the 'open with' dialog window... OOo:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4567/screenshotoootoooowrite.png

I'm happy to swap stories/tests, but IMO the problem still exists,