[Libreoffice] format inspector (Was : Re: sw: numbering misbehaviour)

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 01:43:05 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Wols Lists <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> On 28/12/10 12:54, Philipp Weissenbacher wrote:
>
> But I didn't know about that OOo bug. I'll need to learn styles, but yes,
>> *me* learning styles is totally useless when it's *someone* *else* who's
>> messed up *their* document (and expects me to fix it for them).
>
> I think that's *exactly* *the* use case: fixing broken formatting.
>
> Actually, no it isn't. It's a very useful use case, when I'm helping other
> people ...
>
> But when *I* am creating a document in WordPerfect I nearly always have
> reveal codes switched on. I *think* in markup mode, and the whole point of
> reveal codes is it is a markup window that shows me what's going on. As has
> been said, it keeps me in touch with what formatting is active (is the
> cursor *in*side or *out*side the style selection for example :-) I actually
> use reveal codes as my main working window, not the wysiwyg one.

At this point, use LaTeX. I mean, If you are evolved enough to be able
to cope with tag, why no use the real thing ? (and add git for a
perfect difference tracking system and multi-user editing)

> Oh - and something Word can't do, dunno about Writer ... what on earth do
> you do when you have two formatting objects one on top of the other? How do
> you "click on the object"? It's easy to get like that with text over/under a
> picture or stuff like that, but I said something Word couldn't do ...

Writer suck at it too. I have a set of document that use a big dimmed
logo picture as a 'background' and there are multiple element on top
of it. It is impossible to resize the column of a table. I have to
delete the picture, edit the table and put the picture back.

Norbert