[Libreoffice] Formula cursor : bug or feature ?

Jean-Baptiste Faure jbf.faure at orange.fr
Wed Dec 29 08:17:50 PST 2010

Le 29/12/2010 16:20, Jonas Finnemann Jensen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> If you have enabled visual formula editing (The  "Enable experimental
> (unstable) features" checkbox).
> Then the cursor should act more like MathType etc... e.g. like a
> WYSIWYG editor...
> It's demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foNqKYAlYY
Well, how say that kindly ? ;-) :
For me the main advantage of Math module is that it is *not* like
MathType. It was a reason because I switched from MS-Word to StarOffice
at the end of the last millennium.
I use the mouse to select a formula element *only* when I can't remember
its syntax.
[...]
> The visual formula editor is a move towards something more user
> friendly like MathType.
Ok, we do not have the same definition of "user friendly". :-)
> You'll still be able to write the formulas using the command text
> interface. But the formula cursor will not
> be rectangular anymore... And at the moment it will not synchronize
> it's position with the command text interface cursor.
If I can continue to write formulas using the command text interface
*and* to have the cursor in the formula window synchronizing it's
position with the command text interface cursor, there is no problem for
me if you want use your MathType clone.
In other words, if you want to code a MathType clone, you must keep
entirely the current edit mode and add the possibility to switch from a
mode to the other.

Formula editor is a very good compromise between keyboard only editor
like Latex and mouse only editor like MathType. So, please, do not
destroy that.

Best regards
JBF