[Libreoffice] Formula cursor : bug or feature ?

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Wed Dec 29 10:31:22 PST 2010

Hi,

Jonas Finnemann Jensen schrieb:
> Hi,
>
>> Well, how say that kindly ? ;-) :
>> For me the main advantage of Math module is that it is *not* like
>> MathType.
> I agree that for some people, power users, the command text interface
> might be faster to use...
> But it's next to impossible to convince normal users to sit down and
> learn a command language.
> (Most non-programmers can hardly set brackets for parsing correctly).

I disagree. I have teached the formula essentials including command line
in school in 20 min to 17 age old pupils and in 80 min to 14 age old
pupils without problems. It is only difficult for people, who do not get
a starting instruction.

> But, there's no plans to remove the old command text interface...
> And loss of the square cursor is probably not a problem for power users :)

It is loss of a useful tool. In the old kind double clicking an object
in the view will selects it in the command line. That is very useful to
look about in large complex command lines. (For example writing a matrix
equation leads to commands over several lines.)

>> Ok, we do not have the same definition of "user friendly". :-)
> I'll admit that I haven't done a usability study on the subject...
>   - Those things are utterly boring to do :)
> But if the target group is ordinary office users, and a course in
> formula writing isn't a prerequisite, I can pretty much guess the
> result...

Ordinary office users do not need the formula editor at all. But all of
those who write scientific texts.

> I'm not saying that the command text interface isn't faster and easier
> to use once you've learned it... (But so is vim and emacs).
>
> Anyway, command text interface is not disappearing... So you have
> nothing to fear...

One feature is already lost. I fear more regressions.

kind regards
Regina