[Libreoffice] suspect code in extentions/sdext/source/presenter/PresenterClock.cxx

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 04:21:34 PDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 10:54 +0100, David Tardon wrote:
>> Yes, but the situation here is different. The Paint method is actually
>> defined in the same class and has nothing in common with VCL's
>> Window::Paint. The actual painting is done through Canvas.
>
> Can anyone convince me that its not cargo-cult programming and that the
> mutexes achieve something worth-while ;-) ?

mutex usage in the product is appalling. The SolarMutex is used, for
instance in more than 8000 sites in the code.
getGlobalMutex() is used 850+ times...
The number in itself is not the issue, but the fact that Mutex are by
default Recursice, lead - in my opinion- to indiscriminate and casual
use of Mutex,
in a -just-in-case- kind of way.

Norbert