[Libreoffice] --enable-automagic

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Tue Nov 2 07:26:48 PDT 2010

On 02/11/10 12:34, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 09:10:23AM +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
>> In particular, there's a page on the gentoo wiki (I've put a pointer to
>> it in our development wiki) that says that automatically enabling things
>> can be a packager's nightmare. They've only got to miss a "disable" for
> True.
>
>> some weird option they happen to have installed, and next thing they
>> know they've shipped a package that depends on this weird option - AND
>> DOESN'T DOCUMENT THAT FACT!
> This is not a big deal for runtime deps, both rpm and deb have mechanisms to
> find out what libs executables/libs need and putting them into Depends.. If you
> have a own system, you have to implement such stuff on your own anyways, so...

I need to re-read that gentoo page (as a gentoo user I really ought to
make sure I understand it :-)

And not all distros use rpm/deb :-) the whole point of the gentoo page
iiui is that upstream sometimes do silly things that makes their life
difficult.
> For build-dependencies you're right, that can get a nightmare. Or you
> forget one option, and in a clean chroot the package is not installed -> feature
> not there.
> Or even worse, you get additional stuff in "unclean" chroots you didn't expect
> and maybe don't even want.
>
>> That's why, imho, "disable-automagic" is important (and that's why it's
>> called magic not matic :-). If that happens, it's now an upstream bug,
>> not a silly packager. And it's easy for us to fix each option as we add
>> it, not so easy for them to spot we've enabled something obscure.
> Though, but a --enable/--dsiable-automagic is not senseful either.

Sorry - I can't parse that :-) It's obvious you're German so something's
got lost in the translation ...

Norbert suggested a packager mode flag, but that's basically just a
rename of this flag. At the end of the day, the devs (quite reasonably)
want everything to be on by default, packagers afaict want it off. Do we
keep this flag, or rename it, or is there another way to do it?
> Grüße/Regards,
>
> René

Cheers,
Wol