[Libreoffice] LibreOffice and Java

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Wed Nov 3 06:50:08 PDT 2010

> What about the existing Java extensions? Quite a lot of people are using
> Java to either writer extensions or use UNO Java bridge from an external
> application.

How hard would it be to do AOT compilation of the Java bytecode of such extensions (and the needed JRE and OOo/LO glue classes), and include that plus the necessary runtime? Is such AOT compilation what gcj does? Would that require then writing a new bridge to gcj-compiled native code?

Yeah, just a wild idea...

Another even wilder idea would be to translate the Java bytecode to .NET bytecode for the Windows case... There are some tools, more or less experimental, for this, aren't there? Would it not be better to just require the .NET framework on Windows than to require a JRE? And please note again that I am meaning this just for Windows.

--tml