[Libreoffice] Canonical has a vacancy for a LibO specialist software engineer
commerce at traduction.biz
Thu Nov 11 01:55:44 PST 2010
I'm just giving you a heads-up because I was contacted by Jason Warner of
Canonical (jason.warner at canonical.com and jasoncwarner on Freenode) about
the vacancy below. I'm sure there is one of you guys that is perfect for the
job. If you're interested, there is a link to the application form at the
bottom, or else contact Jason directly (please do *not* mail me about
All the best, and good luck! :-)
*Job Location:* Home based with broadband.
*Job Summary: *We are seeking a Software Engineer to play a key development
and integration role on the Ubuntu Desktop Team - one of the technical teams
that makes up the Ubuntu Platform Team. As part of the core Ubuntu team, the
Engineer will work on a broad range of technical tasks: including feature
planning, packaging, integration,bug-fixing and maintenance. The successful
candidate will ensure a first class user experience by envisioning new
desktop integration features for office productivity, packaging, desktop
integration, bug fixing and development of office productivity related
software such as Open Office. Strong communication and relationship skills
are as important as superb technical skills in this role, as the successful
candidate will be responsible for process communication and coordination
between Ubuntu and external partners, as well as ensuring commonality of
purpose and technical approach. This job involves international travel
several times a year, usually for one week.
*Reports To: *Ubuntu Desktop Team Manager
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Envision new features and integration points to make Ubuntu a great
desktop for users with office productivity tasks.
- Take on primary maintenance of some components of the Ubuntu Desktop,
covering office productivity related areas, especially Open Office.
- Engage in bug-fixing work across a wide variety of components of the
- Assist in pre-release testing of Ubuntu, taking personal ownership of
problems and driving them to solutions.
- Collaborate with other teams in the Ubuntu community and with upstream
developers where appropriate, to make sure that Ubuntu includes the very
best in free software and that our goals are taken into account by other
- When necessary, respond to and work to resolve issues raised by end
users and commercial support customers.
Required skills and experience:
- Familiarity with open source development tools and methodology,
especially those in common use for Ubuntu and Debian package maintenance.
- Strong understanding of the make-up of a modern GNU/Linux distribution.
- Strong interests and experience with a variety of the software that
makes up the core of Ubuntu.
- Strong interests and experience with Open Office and/or other Open
Source office productivity software packages.
- Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques.
- Hands-on experience with concepts of agile development and lean
- Deep understanding of, and extensive use of, desktop operating systems;
especially the GNOME and KDE platforms.
- Excellent English communications skills.
- Excellent online communications skills, including IRC, email, and other
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through
self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- Ability to collaborate in real time with team members in Eastern US and
European time zones.
*Apply for this
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the LibreOffice