[Libreoffice] Git server-side hooks

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Thu Nov 18 01:30:00 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 08:28:36PM -0500, Kohei Yoshida <kyoshida at novell.com> wrote:
> 3) When creating a feature branch, by default, the autosetuprebase
> option is set to true, which forces rebase when pulling from the master
> branch even without the -r switch.  You need to manually specify
> --no-rebase to disable rebase.
>
> I'm very concerned about this, because with this setting, pulling from
> the master into a feature branch, and push to the remote feature branch
> fails (because you rebased).  Worse, when pushing to the remote fails,
> git tells you to pull from the remote feature branch, but when you do
> that, you lose the merging of the master you just did (bad).
>
> And continuously pulling from the master branch is very common when you
> are in a long-term feature branch, and messing up the branch history is
> the last thing you want to see happen while the branch is still being
> worked on.

That was added by me. I asked on this list and it was supposed to be a
good idea:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2010-October/000470.html

It's commit 7f24ede9ec00fea0482abc74a131d41c5578a915 in build.git. If
the consensus is that this is just annoying, I can revert it, sure.

> The current workaround is to directly edit the .git/config file to
> manually remove autosetuprebase=true from every feature branch you have,
> but I wouldn't necessarily call it intuitive...

Actually you need to remove autosetuprebase from every repo, and 'rebase
= true' from each feature branch.