[Libreoffice] newish to git: howto recover from bad merge?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Nov 19 04:23:02 PST 2010

Hi Kevin,

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 03:11 -0500, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> It usually happens after I've committed a change to my local repository,
> that I then sent in as a patch.  That patch got applied with a slight
> modification, and then the conflict.

	Grief - what a pain; sorry about that - best if you push yourself
clearly.

	Yes - I too fall over this dumb thing every time as well; you cannot
'git add' and 'git commit' the file if it is identical to the
original :-) Sometimes I cheat by doing some trivial whitespace change
(which is no doubt evil ;-). I -believe- if there are no changes after
the edit you want to do:

	git rebase --skip

	But - of course, I could be confused [ this is a perennially irritating
git issue for me too - I would -love- someone to file it with the git
authors with a trivial repo test - IMHO it should auto-skip the patch in
that case ;-].

> Any pointers for the uninitiated would be awesome.

	It rather depends if you have your own changes, if not you could do git
reset --hard <previous-version> to throw away your changes, and then git
pull; otherwise it is harder.

	HTH,

		Michael.