[Libreoffice] Licenses (was: Impress)

Wed Nov 24 05:11:07 PST 2010

Sorry for getting back to this minor issue, but it annoyed the heck out
of me :):

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:33:08 +0000, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:
> and are we still shipping a per-language, duplicate license ?

Apropos Licenses, I had a look at our LICENSE (13kb) and the hidious
THIRDPARTYLICENSES.html (411kb) in the root dir. I guess, I was the 1st
human being to do so.

1) LICENSE contains LGPGL, GPLv3 + *everything* that is also in
THIRDPARTYLICENSES.html (so the latter is redundant anyway).

2) THIRDPARTYLICENSES.html is a concatenation of html files, including
tons of ...</html><html>... in the middle of the file. I want to see
the web browser that copes with that mess.

3) The licenses are concatenated together sometimes even without a blank
line or any other separator between them, making it extremely hard to
see where one license ends and another one starts. Someone reallly needs
to review that.

4) We seem to put that crap dynamically together (?) but my Linux still
contains the License for the MS Runtime stuff, .NET EULAs, and NSIS
installer. (not sure that hurts though)

5) Our .html has less content and is >20x larger than the text variant,
so something in our html is clearly wrong (besides its broken syntax).

I think a table of content and some hyperlinking (to not include the
LGPL multiple times) would be good, so perhaps .txt is not the best
format. How should we deliver the licenses? Just .html? some markdown or
.rst syntax?

In any case, at least we should get rid of the redundand
THIRDPARTYLICENSE.html thingie.

Sebastian