[Libreoffice] installation on mac doesnt require read me or licenses

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 25 12:16:16 PST 2010

Hi Jonathan, *,

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Jonathan Aquilina
<eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:
> im happy with the way things are done on mac, but the folder that has the
> licenses i didnt even bother looking at that folder hence the suggestion for
> a mac package that would install LO in the app folder.

I agree with Thorsten - the way it is now is a feature - and also what
apple recommends regarding how to distribute your software. Unless you
need to check for existance of other stuff or rely on stuf being
installed to specific paths, then don't use an installer, but the
drag'n'drop installation method.

Switching to an installer will have many, many drawbacks, as even
packaging it would require a privileged user account (i.e. you would
have to build as root) and similar "nice" sideeffects. Not to mention
the loss of flexibility/the added complexity for the user.

With the drag'n'drop installer, the user is free to install test
versions side-by-side, without affecting another version (apart from
the user-config directory), can simply remove it or update it (i.e.
replace the old version)

While you could force the user to accept a licence with the
installer-method, I'd not want to switch to an installer package just
because of this.

If you want to force users to read/accept the licence, then change the
firststart-wizard accordingly. But I don't see the need for this
either. For a regular user is its almost impossible to not comply with
the licence anyway :-)
And those who want to do hacky stuff with it will look for the licence
in any case.

ciao
Christian