[Libreoffice] slide-switching / transitions evilness ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Oct 5 02:16:03 PDT 2010

Hi Neil,

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:41 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> > PS. - we'd love someone to look at the de-bounce problems with Impress
> > that make flipping lots of slides quickly dead hard if you have a build
> > tree around ;-) [ and that would get merged fast ].
>
> I don't have a build tree around .. but maybe I need motivation.

	:-) good stuff.

> Can you tell me how to reliably reproduce this debounce problem?  I tried
> using both page-up/page-down and mouse clicks to move quickly through pages
> with transitions and everything worked as expected.  What sort of content is
> required to cause the problem?

	So - Thorsten is mistaken wrt. the slide selection problem. I am
talking about the total, compound failure of impress to actually respond
to keypresses in a timely way and flip slides when you are sweating on
stage under the spotlight. The sequence goes like this:

<audience question> - can we just go back to the drawing on slide 3
<presenter> - sure - we are only on slide 15 how hard can that be ?
	[ insert 2 minutes of pressing page-up, followed by a very
	  slow transition / animation / failure, followed by heavy
	  breathing to calm down, pressing page-down again etc. etc. ]

	... answer the simple question ... blah ...

<presenter> - now let me get back to where we were: slide 15 ...
	[ insert another 2+ minutes of pressing page-down ... ]

	Now - of course this is rather dependent on having complex slides -
preferably with background images on the master-page, and is of course
exacerbated by slow transitions (eg. I've set a slow OpenGL one at this
example: http://www.gnome.org/~michael/slow-meego.odp ) ;-) by careful
wall-clock timing (and hammering page-down) the best time I can get is
10 slides in 40 seconds.

	Sooo ;-)

	I would really prefer that if we press page-down during a
slide-transition, it immediately cuts that transition short - perhaps it
enters a "cut transition" mode whereby we switch to simple cuts for the
next few seconds as we switch around between slides ;-)

	Of course, if that is too much work, then fine - it's really my
personal pet peeve having been acutely frustrated almost every time I
present but ...

	Thanks again for the patch,

	All the best,

		Michael.