[Libreoffice] About InstallationFinder (sdk, Java), an API question.

Giuseppe Castagno giuseppe.castagno at acca-esse.eu
Tue Oct 5 13:41:23 PDT 2010

Hi Rene,

Rene Engelhard wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 03:02:32PM +0200, Giuseppe Castagno wrote:

>> I know it could be a bit early to points this out, but perhaps this
>> should be changed.
>>
>> For Linux, line:
>>
>> http://opengrok.go-oo.org/xref/sdk/odk/source/com/sun/star/lib/loader/InstallationFinder.java#74
>>
>> has a "soffice", shouldn't it be "libreoffice" ?
>
> No. soffice (how unfortunate it is) is the publicized entry point for many stuffs, including
> this. I don't think this should be changed.
>
> As it's only executed in the install we have (and that one might have a /usr/bin/libreoffice, this isn't
> necessarily the case, though), this shouldn't matter much but I think we should stay consistent here
> (and as long as there is a soffice in ../program ....)

mm, if I'm not mistaken, here:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/ProUNO/Java/Transparent_Use_of_Office_UNO_Components

is where the function of InstallationFinder Java class function is
explained (look for chapter: Finding a UNO Installation).

 From what I understand, in OOo the class is used to look for the path
where OOo is installed and from there obtaining the URE path.

In OOo it works using the symlink:

$ ls -l $(which soffice)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2010-07-05 10:59 /usr/bin/soffice ->
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

But in LibO that symlink is:

$ ls -l $(which libreoffice)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2010-10-05 17:35 /usr/bin/libreoffice ->
/usr/bin/libreoffice3

That's the reason why I'm not sure whether it works.
For the InstallationFinder to work in LibO, the symlink should be
something as:

/usr/bin/libreoffice -> /opt/libreoffice3/program/soffice

The soffice that, I think, you are referring to, will stay the same.

Unfortunately ATM, I don't have a LibO build useful to test the whole
behaviour under LibO itself.

Kind Regards,
Beppec56.

--