[Libreoffice] auto-download during make ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Oct 7 05:40:42 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 14:22 +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	Urk - not an ideal solution IMHO ;-) I would prefer a clean exit,
> > rather than having the build need a network connection to download
> > things personally.
>
> Hm - but we need the download anyway ?

	Sure - but we currently abort all over the place if a piece is missing,
that is normal in eg. configure.

>  And do so later on inside rawbuild potentially ?

	Urk ? surely not.

> If a packager puts all the pieces in, there'll be no download.

	But this same argument extends to making 'configure' auto download eg.
python-devel if it is missing; I don't think it is a good approach.

>  If the occasional hacker starts a build & has to
> manually type in all kinds of non-standard things (like ./download),
> likely after returning to his terminal after a while - wouldn't he
> be pleased to have "make" take care of all the prerequisites?

	In general it is so dangerous for repeatability for packagers to have
the build randomly downloading things, and is so unexpected for users
that I don't believe we should do it ;-)

	OTOH - pushing onto the agenda for the next tech call.

	ATB,

		Michael.