[Libreoffice] small utility script to handle ../bin/g and similar commands

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 9 06:05:40 PDT 2010

Hi Fridrich, *,

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Fridrich Strba <fstrba at novell.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/10 07:54, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> Just one small nit: As we have members in the community whose platform doesn't normally have a /bin/bash, please make sure any new shell script introduced works with a plain non-bash POSIX shell, and use /bin/sh on the hashbang line.
>>
>> (Just my personal opinion, of course.)
>
> Personal, but valid. To test that you actually don't introduce bashisms
> in a script you can simply set env variable POSIXLY_CORRECT=1 and then
> the bash when invoked as /bin/sh will behave as a strict posix shell.

I don't think so - as Stephan Bergman mentioned at the time
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.org/msg13080.html this
doesn't forbid bash-extensions, but rather only covers those
functionality where bash and posix overlap.

cat <<<$value >>somedoc for example still works, even if POSIXLY_CORRECT is set.

(but isn't listed in posix,
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag_02_07_04
)

ciao