[Libreoffice] Image Compression Patch

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Oct 11 08:38:50 PDT 2010

Hi Pat,

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 10:20 -0500, Pat Hawks wrote:
> I've applied some lossless compression to the PNGs in the package to
> reduce the size of the files a bit, some by as much as 50%

	Worth doing :-)

> In the grand scheme of things I know it's not life or death, but every
> little bit helps, right?

	Certainly ! where the images are concerned, the biggest space win we
can get is to get rid of all the high-contrast icons (into their own
theme). This is an 'easy hack'[1] - should be a fairly simple
re-factoring job: ripping out all that cruft that was cluelessly added
to cope with only a single disability (and ignoring eg. low-contrast
users).

	So - currently, we have bogus duplicates of ~all icons in the
theme .zip files ;-)

> This is contributed under the LGPLv3+

	The diff didn't contain the data ;-) [ which is prolly quite large ].
It is perhaps better to share the script you're using, and a list of
high-win files we can use - would that make sense ?

	Anyhow - thanks for getting involved - and look forward to your
script :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.

[1] - http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LibreOffice/EasyHacks?action=show&redirect=Software%2Flibreoffice%2FEasyHacks#un-screw-upaccessibleiconcode-paths.26shrinkthemefiles