[Libreoffice] [testscripts] Guidance and project management

André Schnabel andre.schnabel at gmx.net
Tue Oct 12 10:39:48 PDT 2010

Hi,

Am 09.10.2010 23:02, schrieb someone at boldandbusted.com:
> Howdy. I was asked to post a message here to kick off a discussion of
> test script coordination. I'm volunteering to help with them because a)
> it's simple, and b) I'm simple.

:) you are simply welcome.

> I know shell, as you can see from the add-modelines script I just
> submitted, and I'm told that StarBASIC is "as easy", and that's what
> (some? all?) of the test scripts are written in. So add me to the list
> of folks on the "testscripts" team, please.

Well - we are just starting, so we need to establish the team first. But
meanwhile you can start working.

> What I'd like to see is some way to coordinate work surrounding the test
> scripts:
>
> * A wiki page with best practices, local custom, etc.

I just created a very simple page at the wiki to give people a start.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Qa/testing/Using_Testtool

Could you please go through the page, try if it works and enhance it?

In genereal I would suggest to:
* learn how to run one manual test and analyze the results
* learn how to run a set of tests and analyze the results
* define a small set of testscripts that need to be stabel
* start improving those scripts (we will face many errors, just because
LibO has additional or changed functionality compared to OOo)

> * A status board (what is failing where, and what test scripts are born
> bad and need some discipline)
> * Pretty graphs and charts. Freenode IRC bot for queries?
> * Some statistics. (Maybe use R?)

Yes, but this needs more people who have knowledge about the testtool
and the time to set all this up. Everyone is welcome to work on this.

To run scripts in batch and analyze the results, we have some scripts in
testautomation/tools. The scripts are quite simple.

> * A list of info about the team of folks on the "test scripts" team (is
> this QA?), who is active and who is inactive.

I think, we can use the wiki for this.

> * A section of bugzilla (or whatever bug tracker we're using) for
> [testscript]-ers.

Hmm .. yes. But maybe not for the start.

best regards,

André