[Libreoffice] The Windows installer

Cesare Leonardi celeonar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 16:14:05 PDT 2010

Hello guys, just some comments and question about the Windows installer
from a user and a Win2000 tester.

Today i wanted to download LO-3.3.0-beta2 for Windows and i left
speechless in front of the download size: 318 MB! More than 2 times than
beta1.
I see that it's an installer that includes all the languages but i
wonder if it is really necessary and if the languages are the only cause.

Unpacking the installer i see that it's all due to libreoffice1.cab:
about 465 MB. Unpacking them too, i obtain 20401 file, totaling more
than 1 GB.
Even if the installed size is about 500 MB, isn't the installer too big?
I wonder what's the planned direction about it.
I were really happy to see a beta1 installer sensibly smaller than the
official OOo...

To me were more smart the go-oo approach: an english installer + the
interested language pack. The only thing that i wish it were different
is an installed language pack integrated with the main application, with
one entry in the control panel, so that when i have to uninstall it i
have only to do it once. The language pack shouldn't be something that
the user need to remove so frequently to deserve an entry in the control
panel.

Libreoffice is a really promising project. I really hope that it will
follow an "unbloating" process like did the Mozilla project in the past.

Keep up the good work.

Cesare.