[Libreoffice] Some questions about the difference between LO to go-oo.

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Oct 15 09:10:42 PDT 2010

Hi Nadav,

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 09:00 +0200, Nadav Vinik wrote:
> Without the change name/website I don't notice any changes.

	Well - that's not really so, we have:

	* a different, flattened code-base
		+ [ yes we have some legacy patches still but they
		   are being slowly merged where appropriate ]
	* many more contributers - lots of new volunteers are doing
	  great work every day, and more arriving and making a
	  difference
	* lots of translators, QA, and well-wishers from the
	  old OO.o community
	* oh - and a brand that 'sucks less'(TM), and the new
	  website you noticed ;-)

	how deeply are you looking ?

> Are there more full time developers?

	Yes, but far more importantly, an extraordinary explosion in volunteer
developers - many of them new to the project: which is most exciting.

> Are there more companies that donate developers for that?

	Sure - RedHat is fully involved eg.

> Are the releases of the LO depend on Oracle Open Office like LO?
> (since also LO is open office version with git of patch differences)

	We will include code from Oracle if it makes sense; of course - why
not, this is Free Softare right ? :-)

> When should LO 3.3 release?

	Well we're working towards a first release in the next handful of
weeks.

	HTH,

		Michael.