[Libreoffice] The Windows installer

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Oct 18 03:18:15 PDT 2010

Hi Cesare,

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 15:16 +0200, Cesare Leonardi wrote:
> In my opinion:
>
> * 320 MB for an installer is too much. If you don't have a fast internet
> access or if you have a mobile provider that gives you time/data limit,
> probably you'd have to find another way to get LibreOffice.

	I agree :-) So - we have some plans to shrink that size that should get
us to 250Mb or less.

> * An unique installer that include all the languages is a really good
> idea if we are able to find a way to reduce its size to saner value.

	Hopefully the sanity of the size grows with time, and (generally)
increasing internet bandwidth.

>  Up  to then, i find more viable the approach of providing separate
> installer for each language.

	So - that is also something that can be done by individuals; however
there are ferocious maintainance, and mirroring costs to pay for
multiplying ~170Mb by 50 languages ;-) particularly when the vast
majority of that is in fact 100% shared. And we want to avoid those
problems.

	Anyhow - thanks for your input :-) rest assured we are working on it,
and thanks for your support ! :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.