[Libreoffice] ODF thumbnailer for win32/osx

Jon Nordby jononor at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 07:09:12 PDT 2010

On 19 October 2010 07:48, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 04:11 +0200, Jon Nordby wrote:
>> Does LibreOffice ship an ODF thumbnail implementation for
>> file-managers on Windows and Mac OSX? If so, where in the sources can
>> I find it? If not, can anyone point me to other implementations?
>
>        Not that I know of though we may well do; probably we should. If there
> is some well known API to hook into to do this, then I would search the
> code for that.
Good idea. There is indeed some code for Windows at least (using the
older IExtractImage API).
http://opengrok.go-oo.org/search?q=IExtractImage

For OS X 10.5 I think the APIs should be called QLThumbnailRequest*
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/Quicklook_Programming_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html
Here, a search in the code did not return anything.

>        Failing that - writing one should be an easy hack; the ODF file format
> is just a .zip file, and it contains a .png image with a thumbnail
> anyway - so it should be a trivial open / extract-file / scale-image
> type flow: are you interested in working on that ? [ and presumably it
> doesn't work for you currently - hence the question ;-) ]

My motivation is actually to get OpenRaster[1] thumbnail support on
mentioned platforms (it uses ODF compatible thumbnails).

1. http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenRaster

--
Regards Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com