[Libreoffice] pyuno problems

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Apr 1 04:42:30 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am the author of a tool called unoconv. It's a tool that uses the pyuno
bindings to allow non-interactive conversions using OpenOffice
import/export filters.

     http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/unoconv/

I plan to support and track LibreOffice development in the future, but I
currently am having difficulties using the provided python binary and the
provided pyuno.so.

As you can see from the following test:

     [dag at moria unoconv]$ /opt/libreoffice/basis-link/program/python.bin -c 'import sys; sys.path.insert(0, "/opt/libreoffice/basis-link/program"); import uno'
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
       File "/opt/libreoffice/basis-link/program/uno.py", line 29, in <module>
         import pyuno
     SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly

Since some of my users complain about having difficulties making unoconv
work because they use the distribution's native python with the
OpenOffice/LibreOffice pyuno.so, I have started to implement a work-around.
Unoconv now searches for a matching python binary and execv()'s that one
instead.

This should work, but doesn't on my own RHEL6 test-system using the latest
LibreOffice 3.3.2 release (64bit RPM). Is it possible this is a mistake
with the release ? Because it doesn't seem to work manually either :-(

PS If there is a better venue for this question, I'd like to know. Because
apart from this problem, we have identified many bugs in import and export
filters (both coredumps as well as programming errors) that we can
demonstrate with both LibreOffice as well as OpenOffice. I would like to
document where to report such problems.

Thanks in advance,