[Libreoffice] ld dynamic linker hash style

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed Apr 6 09:01:50 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 05:45:39PM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> Francois Tigeot píše v St 06. 04. 2011 v 17:04 +0200:
> >
> > the test you have reused and the one I just wrote are for two different things.
> > We have two things here:
> >
> > - the first check tested for --hash-style=gnu option support.
> >   ld supports it, result = yes
>
> If you look at my change, I have removed this check. IMHO, it is
> obsoleted by the AC_TRY_RUN one. ;-)
>
> IMHO, it does not make sense to enable --hash-style=gnu if the
> application can be linked and not started on the given system. So, the
> AC_TRY_LINK is not needed because the same success/failure is detected
> also by AC_TRY_RUN.

Okay, I understand the logic.

> > - the check I just wrote tested if binaries linked with the --hash-style=gnu
> >   can be run
> >   something in the system doesn't grok it, result = no
> >
> > By integrating the two autoconf checks, we're back to a situation where
> > the build process happily links binaries with --hash-style=gnu and crashes
> > a few moments later trying to run them.
>
> Are you sure? Have you looked at my changes? :-)

I admit I only have taken a cursory look to the patch itself. Howewer, I've
also updated my git repository and tried to build LibreOffice.
The build failed exactly as I described it above.

> > What I wanted to do is set a reasonable default of "gnu" or "sysv" for the
> > --with-hash-style option depending if the machine can run such binaries or
> > not.
>
> I hope that I did the same.

config.log says HAVE_LD_HASH_STYLE='TRUE' and yet my system can not run the
newly generated makedepend.

> The only difference might be that my
> approach does not care only about the default. In addition, it does not
> allow to force "gnu" on systems that are able to link but are not able
> to run such programs. IMHO, it does not make much sense.

I preferred not to assume too much on this point and allow some foot shooting.

> It would even
> cause compilation problems because some helper tools need are compiled
> and ran during build. Or did I miss anything?

Yeah, that's exactly why my builds are failing :-(

--
Francois Tigeot