[Libreoffice] minutes of tech steering call ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Apr 7 10:20:17 PDT 2011

* Present:
	+ Michael, Nobert, Kendy, Andras, Thorsten,
	  Caolan, Petr, Bjoern, Kohei, Fridrich

* Previous Action Items:
(done)  new Evo addresbook bug (Michael)
(done)	re-title to "most annoying bugs" not "blockers" (Petr)
(done)	potentially a 10day gap between RC1 and release better ? (Petr to write up)
(ongoing) work on per-CWS merges as pre-requisite for merged git repo (Norbert)
(done)	further l10n / .po file based translation integration (Andras)
(done)  missing fixes from -3-3 merged to -3-4 (Pmladek)
(done)	commit Lubos' nice new warning work (Caolan)

AA:	Thorsten to fix last vmethod warnings

* 3.4 status
	+ status of tinderbox builds / beta releases (Fridrich)
		+ a Windows build is up-loaded for testing
		+ Mac daily builds going nicely
		+ Linux is in progress on new hardware.
AA:	encourage QA guys to quietly dig at snapshots (Sophie)
		+ no announcement of RCs yet etc.
AA:	check make > 3.81 everywhere to avoid segv's (Fridrich)
	+ festering 'build' module
		+ who is using it for 3.4 and why ?
		+ not RedHat, not TDF, Debian* are
		+ Debian*
			+ patch apply file, since source archives
			  are a tar of tars
			+ change pending on Rene
		+ flattening not thought to be feature freeze breakage
AA:	+ discuss Debian adding a second apply file support to
	  apply.pl or using patches/hotfixes/ directory (Rene + Bjoern)
	+ schedule review
		+ Feature Freeze 1st April (passed)
		+ http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan
		+ String Freeze due (11th April)
		+ tag for first beta Monday 11th
			+ in time for the QA days 15th/16th
		+ RC1-3 the week after
			+ heavy-lifting patch review deferred to
			  latter RC.
AA:	+ update release plan page based on minutes
	+ translation update (Andras)
		+ pootle updated, moved from Brazil to VM
		+ up and running, and translators can start
			+ around a month until release
	+ state of master
		+ much improved with fixes from libreoffice-3-4 branch
		+ merge m105+ to master, and cherry-pick fixes
			+ Kohei to do calc merging from now on.

* New baseline for Linux distribution (post RHEL4) ?
	+ SLED10 (2006) ?
		+ - glibc 2.4, binutils 2.16, linux 2.6.16, gcc 4.1.2, gtk 2.8,
	           gstreamer-2.10, Java 1.6 ?
		+ still have to build new bintuils/gcc for new compiler (Fridrich)
			+ RHEL4 (2002/3) - originally for gtk 2.4
		+ potentially hard link to cairo
	+ Caolan:
		+ want to bin gnome-vfs & use gio
		+ want to hard-link to Cairo and bin old text APIs
			+ can upgrade internal cairo (Fridrich)
AA:	+ research when gio came into widespread being (Caolan)
		cf. http://www.gtk.org/download-linux.html

* Reminder / review of release notes page:
	+ http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.4
AA:		update impress feature list (Thorsten)
AA:		get some graphite2 screenshot / feature foo (Michael)
AA:		add Unity integration screenshot (Bjoern)

* Easy Hacks re-work status update (Bjoern)
	+ bug-ifying all non-top-20 tasks
	+ required mediawiki extension
		+ pending in admin queue

* GSOC update:
	+ http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/profile/mentor/google/gsoc2011

* bugs / issues:
AA:	+ tinderbox still has an unfortunate domain-name (Thorsten)
	+ most annoying bugs:
		+ https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35673

* Meeting: an hour earlier ? 15:00 UTC
	+ Fridrich, Bjoern, Michael, Norbert, Petr - ok / preferred

* Bjoern's initial impressions thread / summary (Bjoern)
	+ again remainder - punted to next time

* Bug count vs. 3.3 vs. 3.4
	+ discuss with QA team
		+ bulk ask re-test in 3.4
	+ encourage fdo admins to upgrade bugzilla
	+ Beta testers / QA guys need to know about:
		+ https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35673

 michael.meeks at novell.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

More information about the LibreOffice mailing list