[Libreoffice] Suggestion: Let's change "solver/<mysterious number>/<cryptic platform identification>" to just "staging"

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Mon Apr 11 03:53:59 PDT 2011

I suggest that we in master get rid of the two subdirectory levels under "solver" (or, as those who have worked in Hamburg tend to say, "*the* solver") and rename the "solver" directory to something meaningful.

Surely nobody in LibreOffice is using the same build tree for several "master workspaces" (isn't that OOo concept is what the <mysterious number> corresponds to?) and architectures, thus there is no need to have these two directory levels under "solver".

I am open to suggestions what would be a better name. My own suggestion is "staging". Or perhaps even the stuff in the "workdir" of the new gnu make build system could be moved one level up, and "solver" renamed to "workdir"?

I don't like renaming "solver" to "build", as that word is already too overloaded: 1) the "build" repo and its use to build LibreOffice for distros with patches, 2) the subdirectory called "build" that is created in a clone of the "build" repo during such a build, and 3) the "build" shell alias for the "build.pl" script.

--tml