[Libreoffice] update service

Ryan Jendoubi ryan.jendoubi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:20:54 PDT 2011

On 14/04/11 06:42, Hossein Noorikhah wrote:
> I think it's a good assumption that updating is only needed on
> Windows. Look at Mozilla Firedox update. Update mechanism is available
> for Linux, but most distros disable it because they have their own
> update mechanism.
> I don't know exactly about Mac, but most of its uers have NeoOffice installed.

I think I'm confused as to what we're talking about. Is updating any
different than packaging? I assume we're looking for a system that
manages both.

I disagree with leaving things to the distros - giving *nix users the
ability to update and get the most recent fixes / features should be
/our/ responsibility, not left to distro maintainers (and I for one use
Firefox's update mechanism on Ubuntu, 'cause I don't like the changes
the distro maints make :-)

And ought we not to aim to merge the NeoOffice / LibreOffice communities
eventually, as with the http://go-oo.org/ project? I don't know, maybe
there are politics of which I'm unaware.

In other news, I've found several other possible tool candidates, and
some more information about the Firefox update system, and added it to
the wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Enterprises_nice-to-have

Bests,

-r