[Libreoffice] Proposing a new Easy Hack - project consistent namespaces

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Apr 19 08:04:38 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 19 of April 2011, Júlio Hoffimann wrote:
> Hi Caolán,
>
> I was thinking in the LibreOffice identity too. Renaming the namespaces
> created by sun and other previous versions would help us to understand the
> code, but also would make we feel in a new software, a real community
> software. This is not so hard to do because C++ is powerful as we know, and
> if we try to imagine the suite in the future, is not great to maintain old
> names in the source, we need an identity! :-)

 It would probably help if you were more specific with your proposal. Renaming
things in the code just because it's now called LibreOffice is probably not
worth it (there's still enough code that has naming from the times it was
called StarOffice). Being more specific would also (hopefully) help others to
understand what improvement you expect from it - believe it or not, what you
as a newcomer may find batshit insane may look perfectly normal to long time
developers since they've simply already gotten used to it.

 If this is about those com::sun::start::whatever namespaces specifically,
then I think it's part of the UNO interfaces and as such it needs to be kept
for backwards compatibility for extensions.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz