[Libreoffice] OSL_ASSERT - remove backtrace or make abort

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Apr 21 08:18:22 PDT 2011

On Wednesday 20 of April 2011, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Another related thing that is broken is how the code often loses useful
> information associated with exceptions.
>
> To take an example, the root cause to much breakage on Windows in the 3.4
> beta1 caused an exception with the nice message "package2.dll: cannot get
> symbol: component_getImplementationEnvironment" attached. That message says
> very clearly what the problem is. And the message indicates indeed a very
> serious problem with the UNO component shared library in question. But did
> this message show up anywhere (except that I by luck happened to see it in
> the debugger, as there was something to see, as the catch clause in this
> case actually caught the exception object)? Not anywhere where the user
> would have been able to report it at least.

 I think I had the same when the conversion to gbuild made the .docx import
module writerfilter unusable. In SfxObjectShell::InsertFrom() the exception
throw was caught without caring about it and just converted into 'return
false', which several levels higher was converted to an error dialog just
stating 'Generic input/output error' :(. But I don't know a good universal
solution to this, it probably required fixing code that does things like
this.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz