[Libreoffice] Installing beta versions replacing stable versions

Ed. Drinkwater hand_of_fate2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 02:36:43 PDT 2011

I downloaded 3.4 Beta 1 and 3.4 Bata 2 under Windows 7, and in both
cases installing the beta version overwrote the stable version I already
had installed, and even if I set it to install in a different folder the
installer still removed the stable version.  Similarly installing the
DEB packages under Ubuntu removed the previously installed 3.3.2 packages.

Developer versions that are not recommended (and certainly in the case
of Beta 1 completely unsuitable) for production use overwriting stable
versions is bad practice for two reasons.  Firstly it makes comparing
the two versions very slow and difficult if the user has to uninstall
and reinstall every time they switch between them.  Secondly if the
experimental version is not suitable for production use then the user
needs to have a version installed for production use while testing it.

Can you please make sure that future developer builds are compiled to
install in a separate folder and do not disturb previously installed
stable versions.

Thanks